Use Your Head and Wear a Hard Hat
/ July 21st, 2022 / There are currently 0 comments
Almost all construction work involves a risk of head injury. Keep it safe. Wear your hard hat.
- Even on a well-run site head injuries can still happen so hard hats should be worn
- A lot of workers were killed or received serious head injuries before the use of hard hats on construction sites
- Wearing a hard hat may prevent or lessen an injury to your head
What is the law on Hard Hats?
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Regulations 1992
- From 6 April 2013, the PPE Regulations 1992 apply to the provision and use of hard hats on construction sites
- Employers must provide hard hats to employees and,
- Ensure hard hats are worn when there is a risk of head injury
- Self-employed should provide their own hard hats and ensure they wear them.
Should you provide hard hats to your workers (and visitors to your site)?
Yes and hard hats should:
- Be in good condition. If it’s damaged, throw it away
- Fit the person wearing it and be worn properly
- Not stop the wearing of hearing protectors as well (when needed)
- Only be obtained from a reputable supplier such as Activewear Group. Click here to view the recommended PPE Headwear. Beware there are fake hard hats on the market
How do I help ensure that head protection is worn?
- Make the wearing of hard hats a site rule
- Display safety signs in areas where there is a risk of head injury
- Always wear your hard hat to set an example
- Check others are wearing theirs
How do I take care of my hard hat?
The shell of a hard hat can be damaged or weakened if not looked after.
- Objects fall onto it
- It strikes against a fixed object
- It receives a severe impact
- Deep scratches occur
- It is sprayed with chemicals or solvent based paint
What safety standards are there for hard hats?
- EN 397 – Standard for industrial helmets
- EN 12492 – Standard for helmets for mountaineers
- EN 50365 – Standard for electrically insulated helmets for use in low voltage installations
Best Selling Hard Hats
PORTWEST Height Endurance Helmet PS53
PORTWEST Monterosa Safety Helmet PW97
PORTWEST Expertbase Safety Helmet PW50
PORTWEST Peak View Hard Hat Vented PV50
Use your head and wear a hard hat
Facts on wearing hard hats in construction
Comments are closed here.